March 28, 2011

Boston Getaway - Part 4 - Bunker Hill

After visiting "Old Ironsides", our next stop along the "Freedom Trail" is "Bunker Hill".  The narrow streets of Charlestown all seem to lead to this historic square boardered by some beautiful colonial homes.
And looking over it all is the 221 foot (67m) obelisk at the center, dedicated in 1843 to commemorate the battle.

"Don't fire until you see the whites of their eyes."  This legendary order has come to immortalize the determination of the American Colonists who united to take on the might of the British Army on June 17, 1775 at this famous battle of Bunker Hill.  However, did you know that the Battle of Bunker Hill was actually fought atop Breed's Hill and that it was technically a British victory?

And let me tell you, I am so glad that I walked up the 294 stairs to the top in the year 2000 during my first visit to Boston.  Because there was no way, after my surgery's this past July that I was going to make it to the top again.  Besides, it was closed today.  You can see from the picture above that the monument is under some maintenance, so it was hard to get a great picture.


Our walk took us through the City Square where we took a little break before making our way back over the Charlestown Bridge.


Next stop, the area referred to as the "North End"

See more pictures of our day by clicking here "Where's Debbie".  Then click on the album "Bunker Hill"



1 comment:

  1. Beautiful colonial homes and blooming tree at the bottom.
    Can't wait to see your african photos! :-) Africa is my favourite continent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog. I love reading your comments!

Have a Fabulous Day!
Debbie

Related Posts with Thumbnails